Tuesday, December 4, 2012

I love my Ukulele!

I just got a new concert ukulele for my birthday and I am stoked to start playing. I have been thinking about learning a new instrument for a few years and after hearing some amazing ukulele in Hawaii and Samoa, I thought I would give this a try. Although I am a lefty, I decided to try to play right-handed since the strumming feels more natural that way. I'm going to join a group class on thursday nights and will try to pick up tips on line. This five-step guide is awesome with a great video. Today, I selected my first song--Stand by me--and am following this online tutorial. Some of my favorite songs on youtube include Jake Shimabukuro's Bohemian Rhapsody (crazy good), Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's What a wonderful world, this baby playing Jason Mraz's I'm Yours, and anything by Sungha Jung! I also met some incredible ukulele players at a shop in Shilin and they let me try out a shiny red electric uke! I've only been playing a few days but so far the hardest thing has been "chucking" a strumming technique that makes a percussion sound. According to many ukulele players, it replaces the beat of a drum. I've seen some cool chucking tutorials online but like this one in particular.

2 comments:

  1. I typed in "I love my ukulele" on Google and your blog pulled up. Haha. I'm glad you're enjoying your new instrument! I just got mine in December as well and absolutely love it. Online tutorials are the best. I signed up for lessons on www.ukuleleunderground.com and have also joined a local meet up group. It's such a fun, cute, happy little instrument. :) Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caroline, Thanks for the tip with the online tutorials. So helpful! Have you found much help for strumming technique and pattern? That is where I am struggling the most and haven't found as much online for that. Best,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete