Sunday, December 16, 2012

How to eat Xiaolongbao!


Xiaolongbao chefs at Dintaifung
Dintaifung's traditional pork xiaolong
What is the proper way to eat xiaolongbao (xiao long bao 小籠包)? Xiaolongbao are a type of baozi or steamed bun originally from Shanghai. They are steamed in bamboo baskets (xiaolong literally means "small steaming basket"). I always assumed they were dumplings, but in fact they differ in many ways from traditional jiaozi 餃子; xiaolongbao are made from raised flour so the texture is more translucent and fluffy, they are also created with a circular twist at the top of the bun, whereas jaozi are folder into a semi-cirle and pinched on the sides. Xiaolongbao are especially delicious and unique because they are filled with juice (often referred to as soup). According to Wikipedia, the juice in the buns are "created by wrapping solid meat aspic inside the skin alongside the meat filling. Heat from steaming then melts the gelatin-gelled aspic into soup." I had no idea! I kept picturing some sort of elaborate injection technique to get the delicious broth into the buns.

Like many people living in Taiwan, I have been on a quest to find the best xiaolongbao in Taipei. I have been to 7 XLB places so far and enjoying this type of comparative research tremendously. So far, there is not a definitive winner. Din Tai Fung is the most famous xiaolongbao place in Taiwan and definitely has the large presence and loyal following. Their xiaolongbao are incredibly fresh, perfectly created, and unbelieveably juicey. They also offer efficient and educational service where they teach you how to properly eat the xiaolongbao for optimal flavor and how to avoid the oh-so-embarrasing premature puncture and release of the juices! To avoid juice splatter, follow these steps on how to eat xiaolongbao--see also this helpful youtube video:

1). Add soy sauce and vinegar to ginger
2). Gently lift the xiaolongbao with your chopsticks and dip in soy sauce mixture.
3). Place xiaolongbao into soup spoon.
4). Use your chopstick or teeth to create a small hole in the bun so a little juice comes out into the spoon. This also cools the bun a little to the best temperature for eating.
5). Fee free to add some ginger at this point.
6). Lift the spoon and eat the whole thing including the soup.
7). Enjoy!

I also like putting the whole bun in my mouth and hoping I won't leek juice or squirt my neighbor! One place I have been researching and really like is Fangs restaurant in Tienmu. Fangs has a wonderful family atmosphere, a low key but authentic and clean xiaolongbao assembly area, and a fresh and flavorful menu. Their xiaolongbao are beautifully created, bursting with juice, and always fresh. I think they are a strong contender for best in Taipei but I need a larger sample size to base this decision on. My quest continues....

4 comments:

  1. Yu Yu Yuan in Shanghai is my favorite xiaolongbao which is my favorite chinese food (after pomfret fish in black bean sauce).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip! I am hoping to go to Shanghai in a few months so will check it out for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! I love XLB!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well you should come to Taipei and do some "research" on this with me!

    ReplyDelete