Sunday, December 9, 2012

Atayal words and language


photo by Mikael Owunna
photos by Mikael Owunna
For the past few weeks, I have been teaching an incredible group of Atayal (泰雅) students in Nan'ao (南澳) with my Fulbright colleague, Mikael. The program focuses on using creative activities and exercises to foster cultural pride and empowerment. The first session focused on teaching students to write their own name in Atayal. Most of the students did not know how to do this since they typically write their name in Chinese characters in school and they are unfamiliar with the English alphabet (used to write Atayal). In the second class, they learned several Atayal words and they selected one to begin to describe themselves as an Atayal. Each week, they also perform an art project using Atayal designs, and symbols to incorporate their learning with creativity. These activities will culminate in a project called "I am Atayal" in which the students take photos of themselves and their cultural lives and use Atayal and English words to describe themselves. Mikael is teaching them how to take photos that have cultural relevance and my University of San Francisco colleague Professor Leyla Perez-Gualdron generously donated disposable cameras to all the students. 

photo by Mikael Owunna
While there are between 85,000-90,000 Atayal living in Taiwan, the Atayal language is perhaps only spoken fluently by about 35,000. In fact, while the younger generation may hear Atayal at home, they are required to learn Mandarin Chinese and English in the classroom at school. Only a few school programs--such as one in Wulai--offer Atayal as an extracurricular option for students. While the pronunciation is similar to other Austronesian languages, it does take a fair amount of practice. Here are some interesting words:

對人正面形容的泰雅語
編號
泰雅語
國語
English
1
ms’su
正直
honest, disciplined
2
mkala
活潑
active
3
qniyat
勤奮
diligent
4
mhoway
慷慨
generous
5
mintunux
聰明
smart
6
sgalu lungan
充滿愛心
caring, attached
7
myasa lungan
善良
nice, good
8
klokah lungan
意志堅強
strong-minded
9
baq r’maw
熱心助人
helpful
10
raban skutaw
有骨氣
undying spirit
11
ini sbrus
真誠
sincere
12
lokah s’yapas
幽默
humorous
13
hopa lungan
膽大
bald
14
r’ro
帥氣
handsome
15
minmyasa
美麗
beautiful
16
hopa
高大
tall
17
ciput’
矮小
short
18
lhbaw
thin
19
usuw
heavy
20
mhekan
thin
21
mthwey
fat
23
klokah
健壯
strong
24
tmlux
安靜
quiet

There are limited resources about the Atayal language written in English. I have been reading Atayal-English dictionary by Søren Egerod (1995), but it focuses more on documenting the language, rather than teaching it. Here are some Atayal language games, and a youtube video of student speaking Atayal. Given that Atayal is primarily a spoken language and is not being systematically taught in schools, it is unclear how much longer the language will last. The fear of diminishing indigenous languages is present all over the world and we need to actively join forces to raise awareness and fight for students to be able to learn in their native language. 

9 comments:

  1. Christine, You know more about the Taiwanese aboriginal cultures than me now...I need to learn this from your blog from now on. Keep up with the good work and take more photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Hsin-Ya. I have so much to learn but I am so grateful to my Atayal friends, collaborators and students who are helping me raise awareness about this amazing culture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am searching for Tayal language materials.

      Delete
  3. I am grateful to have found your blog. Being half Atayal and American, I am always looking for ways to learn more about my cultural roots. Every time I read/watch something new about the Atayal, I feel it creates a better understanding of that part of my identity. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Hopa lungan" means "bold," not "bald". I am Payas Abaw, an American who learned in Ulai during the sixties. Currently I am preparing some Atayal language materials in order to preserve this valuable language.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. Can you tell me how to say "Thank you" or "Thanks" in Atayal?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you tell me how to say "Thank you" or "Thanks" in Atayal?

    ReplyDelete