Friday, November 2, 2012

California Style in Taipei

Throughout Taipei there are references to the United States that are related to LA fashion (neon bright clothes), New York City music (hip hop, dance party), and All American food (pizza with seaweed and corn anyone)? But more and more, I am seeing businesses referring to the ever idealized "California Style" to market their product. Most recently, I finally broke down and joined the World Gym in Tienmu. I resisted for months, but their proximity to my place and swimming pool made the decision inevitable. World Gym sells what they believe is the California image of health and fitness. When you walk in to glass doors, surrounded by mirrors and flashing multicolored lights, you are hit by pulsating dance music and large screen TVs. There is a huge lounge with silver metallic furry sofas and the TVs only seem to show Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone movies (so I'm all caught up on the Rambo series btw). During my 90 minute negotiation with the sales team, they were intent on pointing out that this gym was modeled after the "California fitness craze!" California style in Taipei looks like Hollywood on steroids and every cliche from the LA night club scene. In this gym, the walls are shiny metal, the staircases are glass with cobalt blue lighting, the oversized murals are models in hip hop clothes and too much make up. I didn't have the heart to tell the managers that I am actually from California and my gym of 7 years is just one room filled with free weights, tie dye shirts, National Geographic and Audobon magazines and mountain bikes in the parking lot. I am beginning to wonder who falls for these exaggerated images of California or US culture? What are Taiwanese perceptions of California? When I turn on my TV, the main "American" shows that air are quite embarrassing commentaries of reality TV in the US: Bridezilla, Housewives of New Jersey, Bobby Flay Throwdown, Desperate Housewives, Say Yes to the Dress, the list goes on. When I eventually tell people that I am from California, they seem to already have some ideas of what my life must be like. I'm sure these stereotypes are reciprocal and I'm eager to advance the conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment